Jawas Read, Too! has moved to WordPress! The new address is http://jawasreadtoo.wordpress.com/

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://jawasreadtoo.wordpress.com/
and update your bookmarks. Thank you!

JRT has moved


Jawas Read, Too has recently switched blogging platforms.

The new location is here: Jawas Read, Too

All RSS feeds and URLs will have to be updated.

Saturday, January 16, 2010

The Book Faeries - January Edition, part 1

In an effort to continue to improve JRT (and in lieu of a Weekend Discussion this weekend because frankly, I haven't been able to concentrate enough to think of something to discuss with you lovely folks), I'm taking a different approach to my monthly Book Faeries post.  There will be a photo of each book, some description, how/where I got my copy, and, of course, the photo of the entire pile.

The past week has been difficult, but it's also been strangely giving when it comes to books.  I've received so many, I've decided to make two posts.

Here is the photo of the first half of this month's fantastic surprises!  Hit the 'read more' link to get some information on the books. :)


(I do apologize--two of the books I received were not photographed, but they are mentioned below)

Some of these I spoke about briefly before, but as promised, here they are again!


Rosemary & Rue: An October Daye Novel by Seanan McGuire

I am looking forward to diving into Urban Fantasy with this book.  With generous Shakespeare references and a half fairy female P.I. (who doesn't love a good detective novel?), it's promising a lot, but I'm sure McGuire will deliver!

 Received: via gift card


Taliesin: Book One of the Pendragon Cycle by Stephen R. Lawhead

I love King Arthur and I love Arthurian legends.  I fell in love with Lawhead's King Raven Trilogy where he explores another mythical figure: Robin Hood.  I found out he had written a series of Arthur books and have been wanting to read them ever since.  I thought it was about time I picked up the first volume!


Received: via gift card



Plague Zone: A Novel of the Plague Year by Jeff Carlson


This is the third and final of the Plague Year books.  The first reason I picked these up was having the opportunity to read a book by a local author.  The second reason was being intrigued by a really cool SF post-apocalyptic plot: a machine plague has been unleashed on the world and the survivors must continue to climb to higher altitudes or risk infection and death.  The writing's been interesting and the plot engrossing so it was only inevitable I pick up the final installment.

Received: via gift card


Traitor to the Crown: The Patriot Witch by C. C. Finlay

What would the Revolutionary War have been like if it had witches--real witches--and magic?  This trilogy is a mix of fantasy and historical fiction, two genres I really love.

Recieved: via gift card




   

A Shadow in Summer: Book One of the Long Price Quartet by Daniel Abraham


Daniel Abraham is supposed to be an up-and-comer in the Fantasy genre.  But the premise of this series sounds really fascinating--fascinating enough for me to pick up a copy and start reading!

Received: via gift card


Hester: The Missing Years of the Scarlet Letter: A Novel (ARC) by Paula Reed


Does anyone remember reading The Scarlet Letter in high school?  I think it's been about 10 years for me; I'm hoping I can get away reading Hester without re-reading Nathaniel Hawthorne's The Scarlet Letter.  Here's to hoping Paula Reed's sequel can help me enjoy Hester's world better than Hawthorne did!

Received: via GoodReads First Reads Giveaway, for review


How to Teach Physics to Your Dog by Chad Orzel


This arrived in the mail by surprise.  The most experience I have with physics was in high school; I don't have a dog.  What first caught my attention was--why a dog?  It tickles me to think that cats are of a higher mental capacity and so, the joke, that the book will teach you physics in such a way that even your dog can learn, makes me smile.  I'm not sure when I'll get around to reading this since Physics is not my strong point (I imagine I'll need some time to wrap my brain around this one), but when I do, there might be a review of my experience.

Received: via Scribner, for review


The Sheriff of Yrnameer by Michae Rubens

I've mentioned it before, but I won one a prize pack from Suvudu's Holiday Extravaganza Sweepstakes that included this book.  It's hilarious, don't be discouraged by the weird cover.  In fact, the cover is pretty fun when you flip it around to the back and see what else they've done with it.  There's also little illustrations at the beginning of each chapter that aren't just for decoration--they're graphical representations of what's to come!

Michael Rubens is, in addition to being a funny SF author, a very gracious man.  After reading my review, he not only thanked me, but sent his condolences for the loss of Komi.  An author who takes the time out of his day to do that is a really phenomenal person.  You should definitely check this book out.  My review is here.

Received: via Suvudu's Holiday Extravaganze Sweepstakes



The 13 Curses by Michelle Harrison

Last year, I read The Thirteen Treasures, and was blown away with how creepy and enjoyable it was.  This is the sequel in something that's turning out to be a slightly younger read (it's more MG than YA) for fans of fairies and the Seelie and Unseelie courts.  If it's anything like the first, it promises to be dark and exciting.  Unfortunately for US fans, The Thirteen Treasures isn't out here yet, although it will be in a few months!

Received: via Simon & Schuster UK, for review



Generation Dead by Daniel Waters

There have been a lot of YA books being published in recent years about teenage girls falling for all sorts of paranormal bad boys: vampires, werewolves, angels, etc.  But what if a teenage girl were to fall for a zombie?  When teens start dying and coming back to life, they must begin that long, uphill trudge toward acceptance by their peers and into society.  As the zombies do their best to blend in, this metaphorical story of what it means to be a teenager is sure to be entertaining!

Received: via Simon & Schuster UK, for review


Kiss of Life by Daniel Waters

I'm so confident I'll enjoy Generation Dead that I requested the sequel. :)


Received: via Simon & Schuster UK, for review








Extras, Book Four of the Uglies Quartet by Scott Westerfeld

After reading the first three, how could I not want to read Extras?  While I've really, really liked the series so far, I think a break from Tally will do me some good.  And I hear Extras kind of goes off on its own tangent.  It'll be nice to see what else Westefeld can do with his Uglies world!



Received: via Simon & Schuster UK, for review





Unwind by Neal Shusterman

Curious about other dystopian YA fiction, I requested this title because I've heard great things about it. That, and, it has a little bit of a horror element which, while unable to digest on film or television, I've managed to develop a perverse taste for when it comes to fiction.  If you're curious, it deals with a weird process called "unwinding" (the end result of a long war between pro-choice and pro-life supporters) where a body is cut and separated for parts, a fate reserved especially for unwanted or troublesome children. Not creeped out yet?  I sure am.


Received: via Simon & Schuster UK, for review


Everwild by Neal Shusterman

I received this without request, which is weird (in a good way), but also very cool!  It sounds like something that could be a lot of fun: a group of teens discovers what really happens after we die.  Although, since this is the sequel, I'll have to find a copy of the first (Everlost) before I dive into this one.  All copies are checked out at my local library and there is a waitlist. Does this mean it's really popular and perhaps, quite good to read?  I'm taking those as positive signs. :)

Received: via Simon & Schuster UK, for review


Watership Down by Richard Adams

I think I've already mentioned how much I like sentient animals.  Wouldn't it be entertaining if they could really talk?  In the spirit of "The Secret of NIMH," Mouse Guard, Basajaun, and a several generations worth of Disney movies, I have a lot of high hopes for Watership Down!


Recieved: as a gift





The Year's Best Fantasy and Horror: 2008 Edited by Ellen Datlow

This is the third collection I have edited by Ellen Datlow, among others, and I am very ashamed to admit that I haven't gotten past the first few pages of either collection I already owned (The Green Man and The Faery Reel). It's not that those aren't any good--their goodness and awesomeness is what made me put them down in the first plaee; I wanted to save them because once I read them, I can't undo the magic of that first impression.  I've gotten over that fear and have bumped those near the top of my list this year!

Received: via BookCloseouts.com


All the Windwracked Stars by Elizabeth Bear

This is my first Elizabeth Bear title.  I've been wanting to read Dust in particular, but saw this one, liked the premise, and thought I'd give it a chance.  It's post-apocalyptic and derivative of Norse mythology.  Those were both enough to push me over the edge from "curious" to "I really gotta have it."


Received: via BookCloseouts.com





Shriek: An Afterword by Jeff VanderMeer

China MiĆ©ville is one of my favorite SF authors.  I didn't get this book because of his blurb on the cover (I actually didn't see that until it arrived), but because others were comparing the two authors and placing them both in the New Weird subgenre that, if MiĆ©ville is any measure of, is turning into one of the most fascinating things around.  I was confused at first, wanting to try a VanderMeer novel; he has a publication of short stories out set in the world of Ambergris that I thought I should read first.  But since this is the first novel of Ambergris, I figured I'll be okay.

Received: via BookCloseouts.com

There you have it: my books.  Do any of them sound interesting to you?  Have you read any of them?  Let me know what you think!  And keep an eye out for the second half of this post.  It should be up tomorrow. :)

3 comments:

eidolons said...

Wow. 13 Curses. I read the first book, too. You'll definitely have to let me know how it is - I've been wanting to read the follow-up.

TJ said...

You got your Book Close Out order before me! Where is my booooox? D:

Also: I really hope you enjoy Rosemary and Rue. That debut is great and the second one is even better.

Erika said...

@eidolons It's what I'll be reading next so you'll get a review soon!

@TJ Aww, you'll get your books soon! I'll keep that in mind. I am pretty excited to start reading it. :)

Post a Comment

JRT have moved locations. Please redirect your comment to the new site: Jawas Read, Too!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Blog Archive

Hot Bliggity Blog

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP