Jawas Read, Too! has moved to WordPress! The new address is http://jawasreadtoo.wordpress.com/

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://jawasreadtoo.wordpress.com/
and update your bookmarks. Thank you!

JRT has moved


Jawas Read, Too has recently switched blogging platforms.

The new location is here: Jawas Read, Too

All RSS feeds and URLs will have to be updated.

Sunday, January 17, 2010

The Book Faeries - January Edition, part 2

Here is the second half of my January Book Faeries post.  These kind of all came at once and have been waiting for me to take a photo and share with my fellow book lovers!  Follow through the link to get a little bit of information on each title. :)




Four and Twenty Blackbirds by Cherie Priest

I was encouraged by Boneshaker to try other works by Cherie Priest (she's quite good).  I found out I have a .PDF of this book, but TJ from Book Love Affair pointed out the set to me on what has become one of the most addicting websites ever: BookCloseouts.com.  I used some of the rest of my holiday money to get this and the other two.  Four and Twenty Blackbirds is a Southern Gothic tale of a girl searching into her family's Civil War past.  There are mythological and horror elements enough to recommend this book to me that I couldn't go without it. That, and I really hate reading .PDFs on my computer screen.


Received: via BookCloseouts.com

Wings to the Kingdom by Cherie Priest

The sequel to Four and Twenty Blackbirds and a book I can't speak about until I read it's prequel.  I hear Eden, the protagonist, can see ghosts!


Received: via BookCloseouts.com







Not Flesh Nor Feathers by Cherie Priest

It's very rare that I buy all books in a series before I've read the first one.  That goes to show how much confidence I have in Cherie Priest's writing--and how eager I am to begin this series! :)

Received: via BookCloseouts.com






Inda by Sherwood Smith

I remember a coworker getting excited and recommending this book based solely on its premise when I was working at Waldenbooks.  Back then it was hardcover and I wasn't interested in starting another series when the first had just been released.  Inda is the first in a quartet (Crown Duel), the last book of which is set for publication later this year.  I figure now's a good time to give it a try.  I think this is one of the more archetypal fantasy books I'll be reading this year.  There's princes and princesses, a military, foreign enemies, and a hint of betrayal.  What brought this title back to my attention was discovering the protagonist isn't much of anything in the way of power: he's so far down the ladder that his future doesn't promise royal release.  Instead he's off to join a military academy.  Since reading Naomi Novik's Temeraire series, I've become pretty fond of reading about fantasy militaries.  The men and women out in the field have a lot more interesting things to write home about than rulers who prefer to oversee operations from a distance.  In any event, I'm looking forward to starting this series.

Received: via Genre Review's Offensive Book Contest on LJ


The Dispossessed by Ursula K. Le Guin

Do I need to say why I bought this? It's Ursula K. Le Guin.  I love Ursula K. Le Guin's writing.  That should be enough.  And it's the title everyone recommends that I haven't read yet, so: now it's mine.

Received: via Genre Review's Offensive Book Contest on LJ






Hyperion by Dan Simmons

The first I read about this book was as a comparison to The Canterbury Tales.  That set off all sorts of red flags and flashing neon lights.  I have a little crush on The Canterbury Tales and looked more into this book.  The comparison comes roughly from style: the story is told from several points of view; a traveling band of seven pilgrims are on their final voyage seeking answers after the arrival of the apocalypse.  And that's about where the similarities end.  I have no idea if Simmons makes use of a frame story, but it sounds interesting anyway.  And it's SF.  There is supposed to be a couple of books after this, but we'll see how this one goes before I even think about getting the others.

Received: via Genre Review's Offensive Book Contest on LJ


Outlander by Diana Gabaldon

Remember that coworker who recommended Inda to me?  She also recommended Diana Gabaldon's series (which, at the time, only had 6 books out).  I was pretty wary, her other recommendations were kind of iffy (I tried a book by Sara Douglas and regretted paying money for it), but a second recommendation by Calico Reaction encouraged me to give the series a try.  I have the mass market edition so I'll be grappling with two daunting aspects of this mini-dictionary sized door stopper: tiny print and onion-skin pages.

Received: via Genre Review's Offensive Book Contest on LJ

Let me know what you think!  I'm pretty lucky to have gotten the last four of these--Genre Reviews is a great community on LiveJournal with great book reviews and compelling discussions.  I'd started to respond to one particular entry before realizing there was a contest involved.  You can imagine my surprise after I realized, not only had I entered, but I'd won!  The prize was a $20 gift card to a bookseller of my choice.  I went with Amazon.com.  Hopefully the ladies over there will be proud of my choices. :)

6 comments:

eidolons said...

Outlander was a good book. I got it through LT. Before I even finished it, I picked up everything my local used bookstore had by her (only two books, unfortunately). That being said, I still haven't gotten around to reading the sequels.

TJ said...

That's it, Book Close Outs likes you better than me. :(

I'm pretty curious about every title on this page except the last! Can't wait for reviews.

Erika said...

@eidolons I'm putting off starting Outlander until I know I'll be dedicated enough to, if I like it, find the others to do some series binge-reading. :)

@TJ Huh. That's weird. I know you placed your order before mine. I'll bet yours will arrive very soon!

calico-reaction said...

Word to the wise regarding HYPERION: get the sequel RIGHT NOW. Trust me, when you finish HYPERION, you're going to want the sequel, THE RISE OF HYPERION, like, ASAP. Trust me. :) I read them back-to-back. ;)

Can't wait to hear your thoughts on the Priest. I love that trilogy. It's one of those I'd read over and over. :)

Don't be afraid of the Galbaldon. It reads very, very quickly. :)

Cara Powers said...

Would you like to cross post reviews with me of The Dispossed or Hyperion. I've read them both and would love to do reread and review posts of them. I'd post on your blog and you'd post on mine.

Erika said...

@calico-reaction Aah! Okay, I'll keep that in mind. I won't be getting to Hyperion for a bit, but now I'm even more excited and curious about it. :)

Oooo I'm all ready to face Gabaldon then! The larger books are always so daunting. Plus, they remind of me bad fantasy series (quantity over quality). I have a hard time fighting down the automatic hesitation that comes with seeing a thick mass market now, no matter the genre.

@Cara - What's your e-mail address so we can talk about it? :)

Post a Comment

JRT have moved locations. Please redirect your comment to the new site: Jawas Read, Too!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Blog Archive

Hot Bliggity Blog

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP