Jawas Read, Too! has moved to WordPress! The new address is http://jawasreadtoo.wordpress.com/

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://jawasreadtoo.wordpress.com/
and update your bookmarks. Thank you!

JRT has moved


Jawas Read, Too has recently switched blogging platforms.

The new location is here: Jawas Read, Too

All RSS feeds and URLs will have to be updated.

Saturday, February 13, 2010

The Book Faeries - February Edition #1

I'm trying another new thing (2010 is all about new things): splitting my Book Faeries posts in two.  It worked well last month, so I think I'll do the same from now on.  At best, you get two posts per month; at worst, nothing changes.

I completely forgot to include Ursula K. Le Guin's Worlds of Exile and Illusion in my expanded January Book Faeries post!  I'm placing it at the top of this list. :)

As a small addition, I will be adding the genre of each book to my description

Worlds of Exile and Illusion by Ursula K. Le Guin

This collection of Ursula K. Le Guin's Hainish series includes the first book she ever published--Rocannon's World, along with its two sequels.  Readers familiar with The Left Hand of Darkness, and fans of that universe, will appreciate this edition (a nicely bound trade paperback)--it explores similar themes of sociological and political concern, gender, and anthropology.  Or at least that's what I'm assuming based on what my professor told me. ;)

Genre: Science Fiction
Received: via BookCloseouts.com


The Maze Runner, Maze Runner Trilogy Book One by James Dashner

I don't think I've quite gotten my fill of YA--or any type of--dystopian and futuristic fiction.  My curiosity over this new trilogy by James Dasher went further when I saw it on sale at TheBookDepository.com.  Like Jenna Fox in The Adoration of Jenna Fox (and others), Thomas wakes up with no memory of who he is.  Like all tropes, I want to see where Dashner takes it, especially since the story involves survival and I can't help but wonder: will it be as dire as Suzanne Collins' The Hunger Games?  Excuse the comparisons, but the reminders are what makes me really, really interested in reading this one.

Genre: Young Adult Science Fiction
Received: via TheBookDepository.com

Tails of Wonder and Imagination: Cat Stories edited by Ellen Datlow

Ellen Datlow compiles another short fiction anthology? Check. I like short fiction.

Short fiction is all about cats? Even better! I love cats.

Very little persuasion was needed for me to buy this book.  It includes stories from well-known authors, even previously uncollected work.  Among those included are: Neil Gaiman, Charles de Lint, Peter S. Beagle, Joyce Carol Oates, Stephen King, and Susanna Clarke.  What makes it even juicier is the size: 460 pages of feline awesomeness and phenomenal talent.  Excited doesn't begin to cover it.

Genre: Fantasy mostly, I would imagine.
Received: via Amazon.com

If you're interested, Night Shade Books has also published or will be publishing the following anthologies:

The Living Dead (yes--about zombies, already out)
Wings of Fire: Dragon Stories (June 10, 2010)
Sympathy for the Devil: Stories of the Devil (August 2010)

Star Wars: Crosscurrent by Paul S. Kemp

Like all new Star Wars authors, I'm never familiar with their previous SF/F/Horror work before I discover them through a galaxy far, far away.  I actually don't even know what this book is about.  Like another fan pointed out to me, when LucasBooks announces a new release I don't discriminate.  I pre-order blindly with no thought of the repercussions.  That's what Lucasfilm has done to me.  Do you hear me complaining? Excuse me while I go bleat in the corner.
Reviewed here.

Genre: Science Fiction tie-in novel
Received: via Amazon.com

Perchance to Dream (ARC) by Lisa Mantchev

This is the sequel to Eyes Like Stars: Théâtre Illuminata, Act I.  It's a new YA series by debut author Lisa Mantchev and one that left me a little disappointed at the end: I am a fan of Nate and was sad to see him leave the narrative.  Lucky for me, he's back and very integral to the plot of book 2!

Genre: Young Adult Fantasy
Received: via Macmillan, courtesy of Ms. Lisa Mantchev


Still Alice by Lisa Genova

I'd seen this book before and recently discovered it was about a woman with Alzheimer's.  I have a very personal connection with this disease and was instantly curious about reading it, although worried that the experience of reading about Alzheimer's would overwhelm me emotionally.  It's a hard thing to deal with, but I think I'm ready to read this book, especially since it arrived to unexpectedly in my mailbox!

Genre: Fiction
Received: via Simon & Schuster UK


Dark Secrets #1: Legacy of Lies; Don't Tell by Elizabeth Chandler

I think this is a paranormal teen fantasy.  To be honest, I am not quite sure exactly what it's about, particularly since this volume combines the first two books in a series.  This one may take me a while to get to, considering the amount of books I've accumulated lately.

Genre: Young Adult Paranormal Romance
Received: via Simon & Schuster UK



Sinfest Vol. 1 by Tatsuya Ishida

Like Worlds of Exile and Illusion, I received this last month, but forgot to post about it!  My best friend got it for me about a week after Komi passed away and this, especially because of Percy (a character in the comic), but also because it's a hilarious webcomic, helped me cope.  I'm pretty new to SinFest--most of the earlier stuff I hadn't even seen before so this volume was perfect for me.  It was a very early birthday present (my birthday is March 1st!) and I'm so glad she didn't make me wait.

Genre: Comic (not a genre, I know, but :p )
Received: via Ellen

The following books, I'm afraid to admit, I'm not sure when I'll get to.  They're not what I usually review here and so, if I get to them, the reviews may only be put on Goodreads.  If you're interested, I will link to them from here.

Daughters of Fortune (ARC) by Tara Hyland

A story of a family caught in the middle of the fashion industry and sibling rivalry.

Genre: Contemporary Fiction
Received: via Simon & Schuster UK




Suspicion by Kate Brian

This is the 11th book in the YA series, Private.  I prefer to read SF/F YA titles and so, am really hesitant to read this.  It reminds me of "Gossip Girl" and the Clique novels so wildly popular in the past few years.  Mean, rich girls vying for status, private schools, and popularity wars aren't particularly interesting to me, but I do understand underneath it all, these types of books are largely metaphorical for the struggles of teen girls in the weirdly stratified US high school system.

Genre: YA
Received: via Simon & Schuster UK

If I Grow Up by Todd Strasser

I believe this YA title is about the struggle of one teen boy growing up in an area with a high gang population who tries to resist expectations.

Again, this is not something I would normally read, but sounds interesting.

Genre: YA
Received: via Simon & Schuster UK




Let me know what you think!

7 comments:

calico-reaction said...

That's the one LeGuin book I don't have. Actually, there's quite a few of her books that I don't have, but that's one of them. :)

I'll be honest: I can't say I care for the cover of PERCHANCE TO DREAM. Sure, I'll be nabbing it as soon as it comes out, but it doesn't "match" the first book enough to make me happy. :-/

I'm going to have to add those kitty short stories to my list. :)

Erika said...

@Calico: Le Guin has written so many, I'm making it my mission to gather all of her books and eventually read them at my leisure. :)

The one reason I really adore the PtD cover is because it has Nate on it. In the background, but still: Nate! It does have a different nuance to it than the first book, though.

You may be interested in a contes Ellen Datlow pointed out on her blog to win a copy of Tails of Wonder and Imagination! :) It never hurts to enter...

TJ said...

Every time I see MAZE RUNNER I think "I need to read that!" And then remember I don't want to get caught up on the cliffhanger... :P

Erika said...

@TJ: I'm not sure when I'll get to Maze Runner--I might just hold on to it until closer to the release date of book 2 just so I'll have one less cliffhanger to deal with. I'm using my experience with The Hunger Games for this series! :)

TJ said...

@Erika: That's sort of my plan right now, too.

...Because MOCKINGJAY is utterly killing me. D:

calico-reaction said...

Is that contest still up? Can you email me the link? :)

Erika said...

@calico-reaction: Yes it is! I'll e-mail you the link right now. :)

Post a Comment

JRT have moved locations. Please redirect your comment to the new site: Jawas Read, Too!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Blog Archive

Hot Bliggity Blog

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP