Jawas Read, Too! has moved to WordPress! The new address is http://jawasreadtoo.wordpress.com/

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://jawasreadtoo.wordpress.com/
and update your bookmarks. Thank you!

JRT has moved


Jawas Read, Too has recently switched blogging platforms.

The new location is here: Jawas Read, Too

All RSS feeds and URLs will have to be updated.

Friday, February 19, 2010

Weekend Discussion: Nebula & Andre Norton Award Nominees

This Weekend Discussion is a day early and just in time, too!

If you haven't seen by now, the Nebula and Andre Norton (YA SF/F) award nominees have been posted.  I don't normally pay attention to award winners after the fact--not because I'm obtuse and refuse to acknowledge their merits, but because I don't want to read a book just because it either won or was nominated.  I'm sure that's a perfectly good reason to be curious about a new book and then find great new authors, but I like to be drawn to the premise and writing of what I want to read and not the accolades.

That being said, I do usually note who gets awards or which books get nominated, even if I don't use those criteria when deciding what to read.  This year, I'm pretty surprised to note: I've read about half of the nominees!

I think this means, quite hypocritically, I have great taste. ;)

(I haven't listed it, but up for an award for Best Novella is John Scalzi's The God Engines)

Here are the Nebula nominees:

 
(please excuse the crude graphic)
  • The Windup Girl, Paolo Bacigalupi (Nightshade, Sep09)
  • The Love We Share Without Knowing, Christopher Barzak (Bantam, Nov08)
  • Flesh and Fire, Laura Anne Gilman (Pocket, Oct09)
  • The City & The City, China Miéville (Del Rey, May09)
  • Boneshaker, Cherie Priest (Tor, Sep09)
  • Finch, Jeff VanderMeer (Underland Press, Oct09)
I've read The Windup Girl, The City & The City, Boneshaker, and actually only bought Shriek because I was so eager to read Finch (it's a sequel, but both sound very, very good)!

My verdicts? I really loved all of them.

Here are the Andre Norton nominees:
 
(please excuse this second, also crude, graphic)
I've read Ash, Eyes Like Stars (I recently reviewed its sequel, out in May: Perchance to Dream), Leviathan, was reading the Valente title, but had to stop because frankly, I don't do well with reading for extended periods on the computer and it's been posted online as an e-book (when will it be in print?!), and I do currently plan on reading Zoe's Tale before my giveaway ends!

As with the previous verdict: I loved these, too.  The only title I've been curious about reading that I haven't gotten to yet is Ice by Sarah Beth Durst.

I'm glad I don't have to vote--I don't think I'd be able to.  All of these books, I think, deserve their nomination.  What does everyone else have to say? Have you read any of these?  Did you like any of them?  Let me know in the comments! :)

9 comments:

eidolons said...

I haven't read any of those. :/
Leviathan was suggested to my seven year old recently, though.

Erika said...

@eidolons: They're all (the ones I've read, at any rate) quite good. :)

calico-reaction said...

I've read several as well, and I'm quite excited by the nominees this year.

Under my belt are ASH, EYES LIKE STARS, ZOE'S TALE, THE WINDUP GIRL, THE LOVE WE SHARE WITHOUT KNOWING (excellent book), and BONESHAKER.

I have but haven't read LEVIATHAN and THE CITY & THE CITY.

If you're curious about ICE, a friend of mine posted a review in her LJ (her LJ is pretty much nothing but reviews lately, I highly recommend her).

http://revolutionsheep.livejournal.com/46106.html

There are spoilers, but she warns you before she gets there, so you should be safe. :)

Erika said...

@calico-reaction: Thank you for the link! I'll take a look at it later. I do agree: there are a lot of very good titles on the list--reading so many of them has me excited for the outcome. :)

I'm curious about When You Reach Me since I thought it won the Newberry Medal for Children's Literature? I'm not familiar with it and don't know whether it can serve as a YA title or not.

Letter4no1 said...

Since you posted the link to the Valente ebook/audio book I started listening to it. I like the concept so far but I don't know how long I can listen to it/read it on a bright screen. I'm sad it isn't out in book form yet.

TJ said...

Honestly, I'm pretty surprised Flesh and Fire was nominated. I read it quite awhile ago and remember not being all that impressed.

I also read: Boneshaker, Ash, Leviathan--and I like them all.

But I think I really need to read: The City & the City, The Windup Girl, Eyes Like Stars...

Erika said...

@Letter4no1: I'm with you there. I don't have the visual endurance to expose my eyes to a computer screen for as long as I can sit and read a physical book. As soon as it hits traditional bookshelves, I'll be one of the first to pick it up. As of right now, I have to pass on the current format.

@TJ: I hadn't heard of some of the nominees at all--Flesh and Fire being one of them (the Kage Baker and Christopher Barzak titles being the others). Did you review it? I would love to read what your thoughts on it were. :)

And yes--you need to read The City & The City, The Windup Girl, and Eyes Like Stars. :) I did a bad thing and just purchased Finch so I didn't have to wait long after reading Shriek, when I finally get to it...

TJ said...

My review for Flesh and Fire.

I really have no excuse for not having read The Windup Girl yet. I shall fix that very soon!

I hadn't heard of Shriek or Finch to be honest...

Erika said...

@TJ: Thank you for the link!

I think I stumbled upon the titles by accident. Most likely I was looking for one thing, got distracted, and found another. I was drawn into comparisons with China Miéville (whom I absolutely love); the premise sounded fascinating, the reviews & ratings were good so I decided to go for it. :)

In light of the award nominees, I'll be putting Shriek, and Finch near the top of my reading schedule!

Post a Comment

JRT have moved locations. Please redirect your comment to the new site: Jawas Read, Too!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Blog Archive

Hot Bliggity Blog

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP