Jawas Read, Too! has moved to WordPress! The new address is http://jawasreadtoo.wordpress.com/

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://jawasreadtoo.wordpress.com/
and update your bookmarks. Thank you!

JRT has moved


Jawas Read, Too has recently switched blogging platforms.

The new location is here: Jawas Read, Too

All RSS feeds and URLs will have to be updated.

Thursday, March 11, 2010

The Book Fairies - March Edition #2

Dear Readers of JRT: you are amazing.  No, really--you are.  For about 7 months now I've been bringing you reviews here on my official book review blog and I couldn't be more thrilled at the amount of fun I've had so far.  Here's what arrived in my mailbox this past week; I'm happy to say I get to share with one lucky reader more than just a photograph this time. :)  (that's also why this Book Faeries post is being put up so close to the previous one)



Changeless: An Alexia Tarabotti Novel #2 (ARC) by Gail Carriger

While not out until the end of the month, the very kind folks at Orbit Books (with a note from Alex that reads: "Braaains & parasols...") have sent me an advance copy of the next book in Gail Carriger's Parasol Protectorate series.  If you haven't already read Soulless, I suggest you do so.  They are ridiculously fun.

If you missed the latest buzz, Orbit released the cover (and a short video for) of the third Parasol Protectorate book, Blameless.  It's another stunning design.  This series has such eye-catching covers.

Genre: Fantasy
Received: via Orbit Books

Star Wars Clone Wars: Gambit: Stealth by Karen Miller

Let me use this space to reiterate my utter devotion and Pavlov reaction to Star Wars books.

LucasBooks: Look fans, a new book!

Me: *buys*
I'm just sad it took my copy so long to finally arrive. ;)

I'm looking forward to this one--Karen Miller proved herself more than capable of playing in George Lucas' sandbox.

Genre: Space Opera
Received: via Amazon.com

Star Wars Fate of the Jedi 4: Backlash by Aaron Allston

It's time to see if the FOTJ series has finally found its momentum.  With all of the back story provided by Crosscurrent and the Lost Tribe of the Sith e-books (which I still haven't read), I'm hoping I won't be so lost or confused.  Still, the series loses points for introducing some important supplemental material a third of the way through.  I could be less picky, but I won't.

Genre: Space Opera
Received: via Amazon.com











Kindred by Octavia Butler

Unfortunately, this did not arrive in time for Calico Reaction's February book club.  I had been wanting to read it anyway so I ordered a copy.  Even if I don't get to participate in the discussion, it prompted me to pick up a book that's supposed to be really good by an author I've come to respect and appreciate.

Genre: Science Fiction
Received: via Amazon.com



Feed (ARC), Newsflesh Book 1 by Mira Grant (aka Seanan McGuire)

I'll be honest with you: all I know about this book is what's on the jacket copy, which I shall relate to you here because after reading it, I'm kind of excited:

The Year was 2014. We had cured cancer. We had beaten the common cold. But in doing so we had created something new, something terrible that no one could stop. The infection spread, virus blocks taking over bodies ad minds with one unstoppable command: FEED.

NOW, Twenty years after the Rising, Georgia and Shaun Mason are on the trail of the biggest story of their lives--the dark conspiracy behind the infected. The truth will out, even if it kills them.
[the typo is as is]

The premise reminds me a little of Jeff Carlson's Plague Zone, the third and last of his Plague Year books.  It sounds like a post-apocalyptic zombie thriller, which is turning out to be something of a niche interest for me.  I'm still not a huge zombie fan, but do look forward to reading this, especially since it's written by Seanan McGuire under a pseudonym.  As you all know, I recently read and fell in love with Rosemary and Rue.

Genre: Science Fiction
Received: via Orbit Books

I have an extra copy of ONE of these books.  Tomorrow I will post a Giveaway entry--with rules--revealing the title you can have a chance to win!  Is it Star Wars? Butler?  Or perhaps... an ARC for you of either Feed or Changeless?  Keep an eye out on JRT in the morning for the announcement.  The contest will only run for one week and will only be open to US Residents.

In addition, I will also reveal the winner of the Zoe's Tale giveaway! You have the rest of today to enter.

12 comments:

emma said...

Backlash already, really? I have it preordered but I don't think it's out here until next month :(

Enjoy reading it though!

Erika said...

@emma: It came out in the US on Tuesday. I've been reading it since then. :) So far it's a huge improvement over the first three books in the series!

TJ said...

Oh, a friend is sending me Feed, which I'm looking forward to very much. :)

Also: read Kindred! It was amazing.

emma said...

That's good to hear! The first three were readable, but for a 9-book series they should have been more than just readable, really.

Erika said...

@TJ: Awesome! I've been so sad everyone got to read Kindred and I had to wait 3 weeks for my copy to finally arrive! I'm fitting it into my schedule soon...

Erika said...

@emma: I thought the first three, mostly the 2nd and 3rd, were too slow for what they needed to be. The second book especially seemed like a rehash of the first! With Backlash, the plot finally gets rolling enough that it's delivering more of what I'm used to. I think the last book was good, too, but too short.

Dannie said...

I'm so jealous you got Feed. Can't wait to read your thoughts.

Erika said...

@Dannie: I'll be reading it sometime in April! :)

Padfootnprongs22 said...

OMG YOU HAVE CHANGELESS?!??

So jealous!!!

Frances (LJ: fbajet)

Erika said...

@Padfootnprongs22: I do have Changeless! :) Oh geeze, hahaha. Thank you for telling me who you were! I really would never have guessed it was you! WELCOME! :D

Lily Child said...

Excellent books! I look forward to your review on Kindred and Changeless! :)

Erika said...

@Lily Child: I'm eager to get started on any one of these! :)

Post a Comment

JRT have moved locations. Please redirect your comment to the new site: Jawas Read, Too!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Blog Archive

Hot Bliggity Blog

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP