Jawas Read, Too! has moved to WordPress! The new address is http://jawasreadtoo.wordpress.com/

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://jawasreadtoo.wordpress.com/
and update your bookmarks. Thank you!

JRT has moved


Jawas Read, Too has recently switched blogging platforms.

The new location is here: Jawas Read, Too

All RSS feeds and URLs will have to be updated.

Monday, April 5, 2010

Summer of Series Reading Challenge Sign-up Post

At the end of February, I announced JRT's first ever Reading Challenge.  Starting in May, participating readers will have the opportunity to read one book series each month until August--that's four months; four series.  I've named the hosted event:

The Summer of Series Reading Challenge

The rules are listed here.  If you have any questions, please look there first and ask for clarification as a comment second.  I need this to be as hands-off for me as possible.  That will leave me more time to dedicate to reading these books and writing reviews and discussion sections for YOU!

There are a couple of things to consider:  For May, the last Long Price Quartet book, The Price of Spring, is only available in hardcover right now. For August, the lastest Inda Quartet book, Treason's Shore, won't be out in mass market until October, but it is available as a hardcover until then. You can decide if you are able to get these titles from your local library or new & used bookstores; it may even factor in whether you want to participate those months at all. I leave that up to you.

You can participate in any of the four months you choose, any combination, or all four!  Simply write your name (or blog name) in the form below and in parenthesis please let me know which month(s) you expect to participate in.  If you do not have a blog URL, you may leave that field blank.

For example: if you are participating in May and July and your name is Judy with no URL, your entry should appear as: Judy (May, July).


If you are participating in all months and have a blog URL, your entry should appear as: Jawas Read, Too! (ALL)


I've already filled in the first slot as an example.



I will be reading roughly one book each week with my review put up by the end of each full week in each month (this will be altered slightly for months with series lesser or more than 4 books).  That way, everyone can have the post ready to come back to in case they finish after that time.  In fact, I hope the discussions last all summer!  I will also post links to reader reviews. More of this kind of detail will come with my first review post.

To promote the Summer of Series Reading Challenge, TJ of Book Love Affair has very kindly taken time out of her own busy schedule to make these fantastic banners for you to use!  Take whichever you want for whichever months you plan to participate and proudly display them on your blog.  Feel free to promote the entire challenge by using the banner and linking back to this post.





I hope this will be as much fun for you as I expect it to be for me!  Look for a very special SOS related post sometime this week.

15 comments:

Lily Child said...

Ooooh! A reading challenge! Let me look up the series to see if I am interested in reading one of them! :)

Erika said...

@Lily Chid: I hope you participate one month! We're all a bit gluttons for torture, especially for July with Vatta's War being 5 books...

the-sacred-yew said...

I wish more of these books were available at the library, or else I'd do all the months!

Erika said...

@the-sacred-yew: Most of them are newer, so I could understand some libraries not having them in stock. The Le Guin titles are proving to be the most elegible for this, though! :)

Ryorin said...

This looks like it'll be a lot of fun! I've read none of these series and have been meaning to read two of them! I'm definitely looking forward to it (thus the exclamation marks)! :)

Erika said...

@Ryorin: Wow, I thought I'd replied to this. I apologize for the belated comment! I'm glad you'll be participating! The more, the merrier. It seems May is the unpopular month. The rest of the summer looks to be promising, though. ;)

Lisa (starmetal_oak) said...

Well it seems I have been able to track down the Earthsea books so I will be participating in June :)

Erika said...

@Lisa: Yay! Most people are participating in June so I'm looking forward to it. :)

calico-reaction said...

Ok, so I'm officially participating, providing that you don't mind me NOT re-reading the books I've already read. :) But I'm making the effort to read all of the Abraham, and I've put in requests for the two Le Guin I haven't read (though I'm sorely tempted to re-read the first), and I obviously won't re-read the Vatta's War since I read those last year, but you'll definitely get discussion and links to reviews!

Erika said...

@calico-reaction: Yay! I don't mind that at all. I do welcome your discussion, if you would like to participate that way. :)

And if you don't read the Sherwood Smith books, you'll have my input to see if you'd like to try them in the future!

calico-reaction said...

Yeah, I might wait on the Smith books to see what you think of them, especially since I've got a few other series that I hope to finish this year. :) I've got Suzanne Collins in the wings, the rest of the Pamela Freeman trilogy, and so much else! :)

stoicana said...

Well, this sounds exciting so I'm in. It's not considered cheating if I've already half of these already, is it? ;)

Seeing as we're already in May, I skipped that series although I may read it anyway if it's not too crazy. Thoughts?

Erika said...

@calico-reaction: Oh, The Hunger Games books are fun. I really love those. :) I'm curious to see what you make of them.

@stoicana: It is absolutely not cheating. You are more than welcome to join the discussion for the remainder of the challenge. :) I encourage you to read the Abraham books. They're very good, some of the best fantasy I've ever read. The first 3 are available in mass market (there are only 4). :)

nashvillebookworm said...

I've been wanting to read some of these series for a while now and this gives me a good reason to do it. Sign me up!

Erika said...

@nashvillebookworm: Welcome! Which series will you be reading? We're under way for May, but you can catch up if you'd like. :) I'll be posting my review/discussion post for A Betrayal in Winter this week.

Post a Comment

JRT have moved locations. Please redirect your comment to the new site: Jawas Read, Too!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Blog Archive

Hot Bliggity Blog

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP