Jawas Read, Too! has moved to WordPress! The new address is http://jawasreadtoo.wordpress.com/

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://jawasreadtoo.wordpress.com/
and update your bookmarks. Thank you!

JRT has moved


Jawas Read, Too has recently switched blogging platforms.

The new location is here: Jawas Read, Too

All RSS feeds and URLs will have to be updated.

Sunday, May 2, 2010

The Book Faeries - May Edition #1

I may be more than slightly addicted to Bookcloseouts.com. There's no other excuse for my inability to stay away. Although, I think I may have to as I've slowly been running out of room. Things have been piling on the floor for many months now.



The Price of Spring by Daniel Abraham

The final book in the Long Price Quartet and the last book I'll be reading for the May portion of the Summer of Series reading challenge here at JRT. I was quite lucky to catch this at BCO - the book isn't even in paperback yet and some hardcovers made it on the site. There were very few, but I made absolutely sure a copy was in my cart and purchased before they sold out.

Genre: Fantasy
Received: via BookCloseouts.com


The Margarets by Sheri S. Tepper

This will be my first Tepper book! I'm eager to get started, especially since I'm always keen to read anything by female authors - female SF/F authors in particular.  This one seems to be a dystopia of overpopulation with concerns over ecology. I don't think I've read a book about overpopulation yet, which means I might start using this as my base reference for any future reads...

Genre: Science Fiction
Received: via BookCloseouts.com


Inferno edited by Ellen Datlow

Ellen Datlow is one of those editors who's compiled a lot of anthologies. I own a few and thought Inferno, with its premise of stories sure to cause discomfort, horror, and other squirming, was one I couldn't pass up. I don't normally gravitate towards books that can disturb me, but this one is a special case. It's a little bit Fantasy and a lot of Horror. I've been worming my way into the Horror genre, against my better judgement.

Genre: Horror
Received: via BookcCloseouts.com


Cyteen by C. J. Cherryh

Cherryh is another female SF author I've heard very good things about, but haven't read anything by. Cyteen will be my first and at 696 pages, it's quite large.  I was confused and thought I'd made a mistake in assuming this was more than one book gathered in an omnibus, but it isn't - it really is just one book. And a long one at that. (Thank you Calico for verifying my first thoughts! This is definitely a collected volume of more than one book.) It sounds interesting (a geneticist, a murder, and politics). Perhaps it will be a fantastic 696 pages?

Genre: Science Fiction
Received: via BookCloseouts.com


The Dream of Perpetual Motion by Dexter Palmer

TJ from Book Love Affair first brought this book to my attention on one of her Friday Finds. It's not only steampunk, but I've been reading that it's a steampunk-SF spin on The Tempest. That's only one of my most favorite of Shakespeare's plays. Considering I also have Prospero Lost to read, I might do an ode to Shakespeare by reviewing them back-to-back. :)

Genre: Science Fiction
Received: via St. Martin's Press for review


The Years of Rice and Salt by Kim Stanley Robinson

I had the chance to meet KSR 2 years ago when I was taking a Science Fiction course at my University. He came to speak to our class and offered, very graciously, to sign our copies of Icehenge. He's intelligent, but also one of the most personable authors I've ever met. I made a promise to myself to try and read as much of his work as I could. Fortunately, there is Paperback Swap and I used one of my credits to get a copy!  Next on my list for his books is his Mars trilogy.  I'm hoping this wins on one of the book clubs I lurk around at GoodReads. If not, I'll be reading this instead of the winner. ;)

Genre: Science Fiction
Received: via Paperback Swap

Doomsday Book by Connie Willis

I want to send this Paperback Swap member a thank you letter.  This book arrived in the exact condition I look for in used books. It's not perfect, no, but it's been kept in very good condition. In fact, I gushed about this member to PBS and told them over PM that I'd love to swap with them again.

In any event, I was so taken by To Say Nothing of the Dog that I couldn't wait to find a copy of Connie Willis' other titles. This came up first on the list of available copies. If anyone can recommend any of her other books, please do so! I already have Blackout.

Genre: Science Fiction
Received: via Paperback Swap

And that's it. Let me know what you think. :)

5 comments:

calico-reaction said...

Cherryh: CYTEEN was actually published as three or four novels, but it's pretty much one big story. That's the version I read. It's an odd book, but I rather loved it in the end. Just take your time with it. Cherryh's style isn't always conductive to fast reading.

Willis: it's not time-travel, but I loved PASSAGE.

Tepper: haven't read her yet, but she's on my list. :)

Erika said...

@calico-reaction: I knew it couldn't just be one book! The "complete in one volume" part on the cover confused me after I couldn't find anything about a set of books on Amazon's description page. I think my brain was a bit too wonky last night...

I'll keep Passage in mind, thank you! :)

calico-reaction said...

It's actually really difficult to find it as separate volumes, and here's what Wiki says:

At one point, the novel was broken into parts and published in a three-volume edition:

Cyteen: The Betrayal
Cyteen: The Rebirth
Cyteen: The Vindication
Cherryh has expressed her disapproval of this edition, writing, "by my wishes, all future publications, will have Cyteen as one unified book."

So in all actuality, it IS one book, and not an omnibus. It'd be like calling LOTR an omnibus, even though Tolkien meant the trilogy to be one big story. :)

Erika said...

@calico-reaction: I'm glad I found it in this form then. Or, rather, that they're printing it all in one go, rather than having the books be separate or harder to find. :) Good for Cherryh and for me. :D

Lily Child said...

ooohhh....These all look very interesting. The Dream of Perpetual Motion, in particular! :) Happy reading!

Post a Comment

JRT have moved locations. Please redirect your comment to the new site: Jawas Read, Too!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Blog Archive

Hot Bliggity Blog

  © Blogger templates Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP